Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Connecticut Wilson's Phalarope

This morning I went to Hammonasset Beach State Park to look for a Wilson's Phalarope! 

Weather: Sunny, 48 F

Overview: It was a beautiful morning to get out! We pull into the West Beach puddles, and the phalarope was in the puddle! It was a great experience to see a phalarope do the "vortex-spinning" feeding behavior! They swirl around in water to create  a vortex, which causes the insects to go to the top! I stopped by the Meig's Point Parking Lot and got Boat-tailed Grackle and Pectoral Sandpiper. I saw lots of Tree Swallows there! One had a hard time flying because of the winds! Anyway, I saw 53 species of birds. Inculding: Pectoral Sandpiper, Boat-tailed Grackle, and the phalarope (of course). I am now at 140 species for the year

Shout-out to Eli Holton! Happy 15th Birthday! 

Photos: 
Least Sandpiper

Tree Swallow

Wilson's Phalarope

Phalarope again

Again, another phalarope photo!









The video!




Thanks for reading!
Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment

Irruption Year

This year happens to be an irruption year meaning the birds from the arctic come down beyond their range looking for food. What causes I...