Sunday, September 15, 2019

Lighthouse Point Park 9/15

Today my friend Eli Holton and I went to the hawk migration Festival at Lighthouse point Park. 


Weather: Sunny and nice winds. 


Lighthouse Point Park Overview:

When I arrived I went straight to the banding station where I was helping out for the morning. I was joined by Eli, who told me he saw a Purple Finch and Brown Thrasher. Eli took me to the area where he saw the birds, and we quickly saw Common yellowthroats, Belted Kingfisher, Herring, Ring-billed, and Laughing Gulls. No luck with the thrasher or the finch, but we did see a Traill's Flycatcher (AKA Alder/Willow Flycatcher). I spent a few minutes helping the banding station, then Eli  and I went birding to look for the finch and thrasher again. No luck again, so I went back to the banding station to help, but they weren't checking the nets till 20 minutes. So Eli and I went back to where the banding nets were  and this was the birdy area! Our main goal was to look for the Brown Thrasher. We heard and saw: Blue-gray Gnatchatchers, American Redstarts, Common Yellowthroats, Downy and Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Northern Flicker, Black-and-white Warbler, Carolina Wren, and Eastern Wood Pewee. The highlight was a Philadelphia Vireo, an uncommon migrant at this time. Lifers for both of us. Then the bird banding station caught a Northern flicker, I was very happy to release it! It was a very fun time! After we went to the Branford Supply Ponds and saw Common Gallinule. Another lifer for me! Taking me up to 236!

Lighthouse Point Park Photos:


Traill's Flycatcher

Belted Kingfisher 

Eli releasing a Northern Watertrush 

Downy Woodpecker

Red-bellied Woodpecker

American Redstart

Black-and-white Warbler

Northern Flicker

Face shot!

The yellow shafts of the flicker





Common Gallinule
Common gallinule

Me releasing the flicker.







 Tony





No comments:

Post a Comment

Irruption Year

This year happens to be an irruption year meaning the birds from the arctic come down beyond their range looking for food. What causes I...