Friday, May 17, 2019

Bird-a-thon Day 1!

Hey ya'll!
This blog post is about my great day of birding!

Weather:
It started out cold, but then half way (at East Rock Park) it got in to the low 70's. It started to rain at Milford Point.

Where did I go?
Sandy Point (West Haven), Stewart B. Mckinney NWR-- Long Beach Blvd (Stratford), Milford Point (Milford), East Rock Park (Eli Whitney Museum; Hamden), and CT Land Trust (across the street from East Rock Park).

Bird Summary:
I went birding with a local young birder Eli Holton, he joined me at East Rock Park, Stewart B. Mckinney NWR,and Milford Point. 


East Rock Park was full of American Redstarts and Common Yellowthroats!!! Black-throated Blue Warblers were near the beginning of the trail, other notables included: Blackpoll Warbler, Black-and-white Warbler, Wood Thrush, Yellow Warbler, and Canada Warbler (a lifer!). After, we crossed the road to the CT LAND TRUST where we got good looks of a Warbling Vireo, Yellow Warbler,and Orchard Oriole. Not to forget the young male White-tailed Deer that kept following us! I think we paid more attention to the curious deer than the male oriole! Then I went to Sandy Point. Quite quieter than expected, but I did end up with a calling Willet and some Brant. I went (myself) to Stewart B. Mckinney NWR-- Long Beach Blvd. I got 3 Boat-tailed Grackles, a new life bird! Also I found a Black-crowned Night Heron. Then Eli and I met up at Milford Point. The Purple Martins were at the nesting gourds. Before Eli got there I found 2 calling Willets (very noisy and loud!), then I heard another Willet at the sandbars, giving Eli a lifer (congrats!). Least Sandpipers invaded Wheeler Marsh (lifer for me, again!). A beautiful adult Yellow-crowned Night Heron showed well. Then Eli and I went to the sandbars. We had even more Least Sandpipers! A Least Tern was flying overhead, then dove into the water. I spotted a beautiful Black bellied Plover in my scope. 2 American Oystercatchers were also on the sandbars. Semipalmated Sandpipers were in mixed flocks with the Least Sandpipers. Semipalmated Plovers were found in good numbers. Then I asked a Piping Plover Monitor from the DEEP if he saw any PIPLs. He said he saw 6 pairs. So we looked and I found one laying down! After Eli and I went to Stewart B. Mckinney, again. We saw the Boat-tailed Grackles, 2 Black-crowned Night Herons, Swamp Sparrow, American Black Duck, Common Yellowthroat, Cedar Waxwings, and some Ospreys.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56417665
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56417856
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56417432
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56417332
Above are the checklists
Male Common Yelowthroat

Male Magnolia Warbler; East Rock Park

Same bird as above

Male Wood Duck; East Rock Park

Orchard Oriole; CT Land Trust

The curious White-tailed Deer; CT Land Trust

Female Boat-tailed Grackle; Stewart B. Mckinney NWR

Eastern Willet; Milford Point



Semipalmated Plover; Milford Point

1 of 2 American Oystercatchers; Milford Point

Nesting Piping Plover; Milford Point

Black-bellied Plover; Milford Point
                                                                         I ended up with 72 species for today!
                                                                         Let's see what tomorrow brings!
                                                                                  - Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment

Irruption Year

This year happens to be an irruption year meaning the birds from the arctic come down beyond their range looking for food. What causes I...